Colonial Craft: Soup Can Lantern
Here is a really neat project that is made out of recycled materials. It is easy enough that you can supervise younger children to complete this, or older children can do this pretty much on their own. Some of these are quite lovely when they are completed.
cans, washed and dried
nails, various sizes
water and freezer
1. Fill can with water and freeze until solid (2 days works well)
2. Draw design on can, if desired, or work free hand. (Hint: Try your name, a picture, or a seasonal or theme idea.)
3. Put frozen can on pillow or towel while working or a thick layer of newspaper.
4. Use any size nails to make holes by hammering on design.
5. Insert thin wire or coat hanger through holes for hanging.
6. Insert candle and light up the wick.
Project Variations and Uses:
1. Use for outdoor party table decoration.
2. Use for holiday decoration.
3. Try snipping edges with tin snips, but use caution. Sharp!
The famous daily shows you important history that happened on this day.