Little House in the Big Woods
The Prairie Primer™ unit study is popular as is other activities dealing with the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. These trivia questions can be used like comprehension questions or as questions in a homemade game.
For additional ideas for incorporating the Little Houseseries by Laura Ingalls Wilder into your studies, check out the Learning with the Little House index.
1. In what state is the little house in the Big Woods?
2. What color is the Ingallses’ little house?
Answer: Gray. “Once upon a time … a little girl lived in the Big Woods of Wisconsin, in a little gray house made of logs.
3. Where do Laura and Mary go to play house during the winter?
Answer: The attic.
4. What are Laura’s two favorite days of the week?
Answer: Thursday and Saturday. Laura like the churning and the baking days best of all the week.
5. What is Pa’s nickname for Laura?
Answer: “My little half-pint of cider half drunk up.”
6. What does Ma give Laura for her birthday?
Answer: Five cakes. “Ma gave her five little cakes, one for each year that Laura had lived with her and Pa.”
7. Why does Ma slap a bear?
Answer: Because she things the bear is Sukey the cow.
8. What is the name of Pa’s big green book?
Answer: The Wonders of the Animal World.
9. Which dress of Ma’s has a pattern that looks like strawberries?
Answer: The delaine dress.
10. Who does Laura argue with at Grandma’s house?
Answer: Another Laura Ingalls.
11. What does Ma use to curl Laura and Mary’s hair before they go to town?
12. How many miles is town from the little house?
Answer: seven miles.
13. What does the printing on Laura’s candy say?
Answer: “Sweets to the sweet.”
14. What does the printing on Mary’s candy say?
Answer: “Roses are red, Violets are blue, Sugar is sweet, And so are you.”
15. Who is Clarence?
Answer: A neighbor Laura plays with.
16. What do Ma and Pa and Aunt Polly put on Charley’s face?
17. What does Ma make with braided straw?
Answer: straw hats.
18. What is the “wonderful machine”?
Answer: A machine that threshes grain.