World War II: Pearl Harbor
December 7th, 1941 is a date which will live in infamy. That is the date that Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese.
With the help of the online and printable maps below, answer the geography and discussion questions.
Blank state map of Hawaii
Map of Oahu
Maps and geography information for Hawaii
1. Study the any of the maps listed above. On which island is Pearl Harbor located?
2. Which major city lies just east of Pearl Harbor?
3. What makes Pearl Harbor a good harbor? What makes it strong or vulnerable?
4. Why do you think that the Japanese choose Pearl Harbor as the first target in their attach against the United States?
5. Who was in command of the American Pacific Fleet when Pearl Harbor was attacked?
6. Where is the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial? What does it commemorate?
7. Why do you think President Franklin Roosevelt called the bombing of Pearl Harbor ďa date that will live in infamy?Ē
8. Why do you thing that Japanese Admiral Yamamoto feared that the attack on Pearl Harbor would eventually be detrimental to Japanís cause?
Other websites you may find useful information on:
World War 2 Heroes
Americaís Great Crusade
Third Reich research information
Okinawa, Japan information
The U.S.S. Arizona
A Day That Will Live in Infamy
Media Influence on History
Pearl Harbor Historiogrpahy
Pearl Harbor Teacherís Guide
National Geographic Lesson for Pearl Harbor
Pearl Harbor lesson exchange for senior history
Impact of War
Pearl Harbor lesson for senior highschool