Science Fun: Universe in a Jar
Hereís a really fun project. Itís a cross between arts & crafts and an astronomy lesson. All of the supplies are inexpensive or recycled.
Variations on this theme have been done on this project before, but I like this one the best. It gives lots of movement but doesn't cost much at all to create.
Baby food jar
Cooking oil or baby oil
Blue food coloring (optional)
Black paint (optional)
1. Paint the lid of the baby food jar black and/or decorate with stickers.
2. Put about a tablespoon of oil in the jar.
3. Add some sparkles, some sequins (star shape, moon shape and circle shape all work great) and some small balled up pieces of aluminum foil (cut 1 inch square pieces of aluminum foil and let your child ball them up).
4. Fill the jar with water.
5. Put a few drops of blue food coloring in the jar.
6. Put the lid on the jar TIGHTLY.
7. Shake the jar see the universe.
The famous daily shows you important history that happened on this day.