Literature Unit: Molly's Pilgrim
This isn't your typical Thanksgiving story. This is the story of a young Jewish immigrant who is having trouble adjusting to her new life in America.
Book Synopsis: This is the story of a young Jewish immigrant who is having trouble adjusting to her new life in America and her frist Thanksgiving when her mother makes her a unique Pilgrim doll.
About the Author: Barbara Cohen (1932 - 1992) was a highschool English teacher. She has written more than thirty books that have one many awards.
Suggested Questions and Activities:
1. Using a map, locate Plymouth, Massachusetts.
2. Why did the other children make fun of Molly?
3. Where did Molly and her family come from and why can't they go back?
4. What special opportunity does Molly have in America she wouldn't have had in her old home?
5. What was Molly's special school project?
6. Why was Molly afraid to take her project to school?
7. What special lesson did Molly's class learn from her project?
8. Make a pilgrim doll that resembles members of your family that came to America. Explain who the doll resembles and where they came from.
Suggested Vocabularly Words:
Other books by Barbara Cohen:
The Carp in the Bathtub
Seven Daughters and Seven Sons
Thank You, Jackie Robinson
Make a Wish Molly
The Chocolate Wolf